What is PIP?

PIP is the Parent Information Program used by the family courts in Arizona.  This program has a mandatory class for parents to attend who are involved in a divorce or other domestic relations actions.  There are many agencies that offer the class in person, or it can be taken online.  There is a registration fee.

How is child support determined?

Child support is determined by the Arizona Child Support Guidelines. The guidelines are based on the income and child expenses of both parents. The guidelines, calculator and forms can be found on the Maricopa County Superior Court’s Website.

Is Arizona a community property state?

Yes. Most property and debts acquired during the marriage are community property, unless it can be shown they were a gift, inheritance, or were sole and separate property prior to the marriage.

What is a post-decree action?

A post-decree action occurs after the initial divorce case. It can involve the modification or enforcement of Legal Decision Making (Custody), Parenting Time, Child Support, or other matters arising from the initial action.

Do I need a will?

Yes, each person over the age of 18 should have a will to ensure that his estate is taken care of by someone they have appointed.

Do I need to record my will?

No, not in Arizona.

How long does it take for a divorce?

Arizona has a 60-day waiting period from the date of service on the Respondent before you can proceed to finalize your divorce. If your case is uncontested, the whole process can take approximately 90 days if there are no children involved, and there is little property and debt. If your matter involves a lot of property and debts, there are children, or the parties are in disagreement over issues, your action can take longer.

Do I have to go to court?

If you have no children involved in your case, no spousal maintenance is involved, the parties are in agreement, and no response has been filed in your action, it is possible that you won’t have to attend a court hearing.

Do I need a trust?

Not always. If you have a small estate, you shouldn’t need one. However, your estate could possibly go through probate. There are many details that play into whether or not a trust is necessary.

Can I add my new spouse on the deed to my house?

Yes. However, some cities have special regulations regarding this process. It is a good idea to check with the agency where you live.

If my loved one dies without a last will and testament, do I need to do formal probate?

Not always. Usually you can do an informal probate. However, it is a less complicated process if a last will and testament can be located.

We are not attorneys. We are a certified legal document preparation firm that can answer your questions about various processes, and can prepare your legal documents. However, if you require legal advice on the above matters, please consult an attorney.